Feature roadmap of JingOS ARM on the JingPad A1

Hello guys,

There’re lots of questions about what kind of features will be supported on the JingPad A1. So we made this picture to show you the detailed roadmap of JingOS on the JingPad A1.

Any questions, pls comment below!

3 Likes

Thanks @CCL it’s all clear now!

1 Like

Thanks Maxximo~~~~~

@CCL I reordered the info in the following table:

Feature Subfeature Sept 2021 (Mass shipping)
Audio Speaker Y
Audio Earphone Y
Audio Microphone Y
Audio Recording Y
Video Playback Y
Camera Preview / Shoot / Switch between Back/Front Camera Y
Camera Recording Y
Fingerprint Unlock End of Dec 2021
USB2.0 TypeC Charging, Mass Storage, MTP, Mouse, Keyboard, Ethernet Adapter Y
Location GPS Y
Location Network Positioning Y
Network Modem Data connection Won’t be supported
Network Wi-Fi Y
Network Ethernet Y
WiFi Station Y
WiFi Host AP/P2P Won’t be supported
Bluettoth Keyboard/Mouse/Earphones Y
Sensors G-Sensors / E-Compass / Gyroscope / Hall / Light / Proxymity Y
External Monitors via HDMI Won’t be supported
External Monitors via Wi-Fi End of March, 2022
Keyboard Virtual keyboard Y
Keyboard Physical keyboard Y
Keyboard Shortcuts Y
Keyboard User-defined shortcuts Won’t be supported before March 2022
Stylus - Y
AppStore LinuxApps (Gebian) Y
AppStore Android Apps Release of a beta version with Android support in Oct, 2021; Stable version by the end of Dec, 2021
System Updates OTA Y
System Recovery - Y
Android Compatibility Basic Functions (Graphics, Multimedia, Network, App Installation) End of Dec, 2021
Android Compatibility Multi-Window Display End of Dec, 2021
Android Compatibility Camera End of Mar, 2022
Android Compatibility Universal Input Method (One IME for both Linux apps and Android apps) No input method supported for Android apps before March, 2022; input by physical keyboard Mar, 2022
Android Compatibility Sensors End of Mar, 2022
Screen Rotation - End of Dec, 2021
Printer connection Via Network End of Mar, 2022
Split Screen - End of Dec, 2021
Android Reference
Android Drivers 1.Linux Kernel 4.14, no mainline kernel
Android Drivers 2.Kernel cannot be updated to the latest version
Android Drivers 3.Cannot easily install other Linux, need to port over Android driver layer
1 Like

“modem data connection”…it has been pointed out the T7510 chip is the T710 chip with an integral modem. Seems software is the only thing missing…

1 Like

I’m pretty upset that’s just “not supported”

Sorry, but when it’s simply not supported it’s mostly due to hardware limitations. After all it is a tablet not a desktop computer.

It’s running a Linux OS and has a USB port. I don’t see a hardware limitation preventing using a cellular modem. Also, if there’s one in it, which I’ve heard there is, it’s just a driver away to not need a USB cell modem.

The built-in cellular function is for the Chinese frequency bands, to change this you have to change the SoC. At the moment we don’t have the capacities to issue different hardware for different regions. That’s why JingPad A1 is sold as Wi-Fi only tablet.

(sorry my first visit i’m quite new to all this). Is there no extern monitor support at all? And … hdmi to usb-c … means: no sound support?

No HDMI output for the A1, you can only use wifi display.

You guys keep saying that. How do we use a monitor via wifi??? A quick google search turned up several methods, all requiring extra hardware.

@Glockdoc I suppose it will be Miracast. I had Miracast functionallity on my MeizuPro5 Ubuntu Touch phone in 2016. I remember some issues with keyboard and mouse data additionally to the HDMI data stream. My Panasonic TV supports Miracast native but the quality was worse. Worked well with a Microsoft Display Adapter v2 which i still have.

Would be great if i could use it with the JingPad.

So extra hardware. Not cool =(

@CCL very interested in the JingPad - I would like to know if there are any plans on getting support for the JingPad’s Unisoc Tiger T7510 SoC into the mainline kernel?

No plan yet, it depends on the SoC provider.