[Guide] How to install Waydroid on the JingPad A1

JingPad Waydroid Installation Guide

Before you start go read the guide to set up ssh. Trust me, that is the best way to do this. If you don’t have a pc or laptop be sure to scale the terminal as mentioned below.

This is what worked for me. I installed BEFORE the update from Jing. I am not a developer and won’t be able to troubleshoot for you. You can find plenty of help in the Waydroid Telegram group.

Waydroid runs great, once you get it set up. So far it has worked with most of the Android apps I need. Gapps is included in the install, however you need to turn it on if you want to use google play services…I don’t.

JingPad is missing software you will need. If you run a command (such as nano ) and get “command not found” run sudo apt install (package name—ie.nano) then run your command again.

This will be a lot of command line work. If you have trouble reading the terminal ( it was almost unreadable for me ) Change the scaling to 1.5, 1.75, or 2 using this guide: [Guide] App UI scaling (Manual procedure)

If you get a certificate error:

wget http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/c/ca-certificates/ca-certificates_20210119~20.04.2_all.deb

And install them:

sudo dpkg -i ca-certificates_20210119~20.04.2_all.deb

You will need the following packages installed via sudo apt:

sudo apt install python python3 python3-dev libgbinder-dev libglibutil-dev libglib2.0-dev pkgconf cython3 libandroid-properties1 libhybris-utils xclip

Run this command to install pip:

sudo apt install python3-pip

Check lxc version:

lxc-info - -version

If it’s not there (4.0.2 ir above) please install it:

sudo apt install lxcfs

You will need to create this file using:

sudo nano /etc/gbinder.d/bonder.conf

This will open nano and you can copy/paste :

[Protocol]
/dev/bonder = aidl2
/dev/vndbonder = aidl2
/dev/hwbonder = hidl

[ServiceManager]
/dev/bonder = aidl2
/dev/vndbonder = aidl2
/dev/hwbonder = hidl

To exit: Control “X”, yes, enter.

These instructions were taken from the Waydroid Docs page:

Ubuntu/Debian Based Install Instructions
Installation

Install Pre-requisites

sudo apt install curl -y

Waydroid requires the following in order to work properly on your PC:
• python3
• lxc
• curl
• Wayland session manager IMPORTANT!!

Install Waydroid

Add the repo to your sources.list.

export DISTRO="focal" && \
sudo curl -# --proto '=https' --tlsv1.2 -Sf https://repo.waydro.id/waydroid.gpg --output /usr/share/keyrings/waydroid.gpg && \
echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/waydroid.gpg] https://repo.waydro.id/ $DISTRO main" > ~/waydroid.list && \
sudo mv ~/waydroid.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waydroid.list && \
sudo apt update

****be sure “focal” is the distro. If you copy/paste from the Waydroid docs page “bullseye” is in the instruction line.

install Waydroid:

sudo apt install waydroid -y

And start the init process:

sudo waydroid init

Then start the waydroid container service (or just simply reboot):

sudo systemctl start waydroid-container

When I did my install I got an error message that there was an unmet dependency for gbinder.

Thanks to Taepi for building the arm package we need. Download and install the .deb file from here: https://t.me/WayDroid/38611
If you don’t use Telegram you can grab the .deb file here:python3-gbinder_1.0.0_arm64.deb - Google 雲端硬碟 ( Thank you to James in our TG group ).

sudo nano /usr/lib/waydroid/tools/actions/initializer.py

replace
for vendor in [device_codename, get_vendor_type(args)]:
with
for vendor in [get_vendor_type(args)]:

To exit: Control “X”, yes, enter

(for me it was line 57)

waydroid init -f

sudo chmod 0666 /dev/*bonder
sudo systemctl restart waydroid-container

Push the Waydroid icon

**any time you close Waydroid you will need to restart the container with the systemctl line to restart the container then press the icon. This is a bug.

**at each reboot you will need to run the chmod and systemctl commands above. I will get someone to write a script to put in start up so we don’t have to do this and update guide with a link. If you forget these 2 lines it might start, but wont’t work right.

If you have any problems you can get help on the Waydroid Telegram group. AMAZING group of people.
MANY, MANY heartfelt “THANKS” to Erfan!!

1 Like

It works like this:

I went back to your conversation on Telegram, and your instructions lack this command:

sudo ln -s /opt/libhybris/bin/getprop /usr/local/bin

It should be before sudo waydroid init I believe.

Also for those preferring Matrix, the python3-gbinder deb file is at https://matrix.to/#/!rLTECBThFGLDQRuPIg:connolly.tech/$9AxsBUHBXImjChbNOTY1Rdfm-Bd7Tbiuw6gD_pBY_Tw?via=t2bot.io&via=matrix.org&via=tedomum.net

Yep, I left that out on purpose. It creates a system link that allows the use of getprop for troubleshooting. It isn’t required for the install, unless I am missing something.

One solution for changing “bonder” permission:
You can put an udev rule to /lib/udev/rules.d/

sudo vim /lib/udev/rules.d/999-waydroid.rules

just copy the contents below and save it, it will take effect after next reboot.

# for waydroid
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="bonder", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0666"
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="vndbonder", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0666"
ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="hwbonder", OWNER="root", GROUP="root", MODE="0666"

and for every systemd service (including waydroid-container.service), it should be automatically started at booting time when it is enabled.

Hope this helps.

I believe it is needed for waydroid to detect the proper image to download, so without it it doesn’t work. I believe that’s what made it work for me anyway.

hmmm… i am stuck at installing waydroid:

apt install waydroid -y
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:

Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
waydroid : Hängt ab von: python3-gbinder ist aber nicht installierbar

where do i get that python3-gbinder from`? that thing wants libc6 > 2.4 …

Hey all, I have this working pretty well, but the audio coming through Waydroid is very scratchy/unlistenable for me unless I listen to it via a Bluetooth headset, in which case it’s fine. Any idea what might be at fault? At this time it feels significantly more stable than the official solution, which doesn’t have audio at all (but appears to have graphical hardware acceleration).

The location of the gbinder .deb file is mentioned TWICE in the post above yours.

Once in my instructions where I provide the link to it.

Once from another used that posted a link to the matrix version if you don’t use Telegrams.

As for all the other stuff you wrote, English is the preferred language of the forum.

At the moment the bad audio in Waydroid seems to be the trade off for working Android =(.

Hopefully our next update gets up hw acceleration, which might help.

yes, same with me.

It’s needed to get waydroid.conf configured with “bonder” right, otherwise it configured with “binder”(that won’t work).

but it is wired, If I made the link before “waydroid init”, it complained with downloading wrong system image. So I must to make the link after downloading starts and before real “waydroid init” starts.