[Guide] How to run Android App on JingPad A1

Hi everybody,
this is a simple summary of Android compatibility technology and my personal suggestion.

The official tutorial made by JingLing is the following (please refer to it):

Install Android compatibility
With JingOS ARM v1.1.1 theAndroid App Support (JAAS) is integrated in the Repo, so you just need to install environmen & japm commands:

sudo apt-get install android-compatible-env
sudo apt-get install japm
Old Guide for previous version of JingOS ARM

Old Guide for previous version of JingOS ARM
Please go the the following link and download all the packages in the “env-deb” folder:

After downloaded, open the terminal and follow this order:
1:
sudo dpkg -i jappmanagerd_0.3+p20.04+git20211115.8469-0_arm64.deb
2:
sudo dpkg -i android-compatible-env_1.0.0+20211115-155_all.deb
3:
sudo dpkg -i libjapm_2.2.3+p20.04+git20211019.7813-0_arm64.deb
4:
sudo dpkg -i japm_2.2.3+p20.04+git20211019.7813-0_arm64.deb
5:
sudo reboot
After the reboot you are now able to install and run Android Apps.

Check if the service is working
systemctl status android-compatible-env

And, if it is not started:
systemctl start android-compatible-env

How to install Android APK
Installing Android apk is now really simple, but please remember it’s just a PRE-ALPHA release:
sudo japm install -i App_Name.apk

Example, if i have an apk called “com.facebook.katana_v344.0.0.34.116-308816234_Android-6.0” it will be:
sudo japm install -i com.facebook.katana_v344.0.0.34.116-308816234_Android-6.0.apk
So, yeah it’s better to RENAME the APK file. :rofl:

Other commands:

1. Uninstall Android Apps:
    sudo japm uninstall <package name>

2. List Android Apps:
    sudo japm list -a

3. Purge Android App Support:
    sudo apt purge android-compatible-env

Suggestions
Ok, due to pre-alpha stage, some features are missing, so don’t worry and just wait patiently.
In order to properly use some Apps, you have to input info using a Keyboard, so go to the following link and find a keyboard:

Second point, you probably need to manage files under the Android apps (eg. open file for Office…), so find a good File Manager:

In alternative, as said by @Codes4Fun, you can install F-Droid to simply find and download APK:

Perfect, this is a “on the way” guide, I will update it as soon as new features will be released.

If you like my guide please click on <3

6 Likes

I recommend installing Aurora Store for getting APKs directly from google servers without your own google account:

I worry about websites like APKMirror could be compromised with viruses/spyware/etc.

Aurora Store allows you to spoof different hardware, I tested different ones, I recommend one with API 27 like sirius Xiaomi. I am able to see a lot more apps with that one. To change that you need tap the top left icon next to “Aurora Store” title at the top, and tap “Spoof manager” and pick the one you want and then re-login with the anonymous account by going to “Accounts” on the same panel as “Spoof manager”.

On one rare occasion, I trouble logging in and restarting the JingPad fixed it.

1 Like

It’s nice to also have a launcher, they can allow you to uninstall apps installed with the store. I’ve tried out different ones and this is the one I’ve been using:

Another one is the nova launcher that you would need to get from the Aurora Store.

When you open any launcher (all the ones I tested), the screen will look messed up, but if you swipe up from the middle of the screen, a panel will slide up and reveal the installed apps. Long press an app, gives you options to either remove the app, or to look at info about the app which includes a button to remove it.