[Guide] Snap App - Install and use Snapd

Hi All,
in order to properly use Snapd Packages on JingOS, please follow this guide.

So, first of all, install Snapd:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install snapd

Reboot the System:

sudo reboot

After reboot, install Snap Core:

sudo snap install core

Now, in order to easily have Icons on desktop, Duix help us to create a symlink from /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications in /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications:

sudo cp -n /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/*.desktop /usr/share/applications
sudo mv /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications /var/lib/snapd/desktop/__applications
sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications

Thanks!
If you like my guide please click on <3

6 Likes

Thanks @Maxximo88. Your instructions worked beautifully and I was able to install libreoffice:-

$ sudo snap install libreoffice

For newbies like me, I found these commands in Terminal to be useful:-

$ snap help

(gives a set of the commands you can use after snap)

And:-

$ snap list

(lists all the snaps you have installed).

@RichardS I’d be interested in understanding how you were able to install libreOffice this way since it tells me that stable is only available for amd64. Thanks!

@MilitaryNerd

sudo apt-get install libreoffice

Worked for me.

Hi @MilitaryNerd. I followed all the instructions in @Maxximo88 's instructions earlier in the thread, starting with the install of Snapd ($ sudo apt update && sudo apt install snapd, then reboot, etc.). Only then did I $ sudo snap install libreoffice (@xircon 's modified command, $ sudo apt-get install libreoffice, is probably a little “safer”, so I would go with that). Alternatively, I think, once you have installed Snapd and got the software catalog available, you can search for LibreOffice from the catalogue and just install it from there. Hope that helps.

@MilitaryNerd One further update to my previous comment; @brookie made a very good suggestion that, for non-Chinese speakers, Flatpak may be a better way to go than Snapd. I posted on this elsewhere on the forum (Angelfish Program - #5 by brookie), but that route is now my preferred way to find, install, uninstall and update apps. Hope that helps too.

That’s interesting because when I do it, I get:

error: snap “libreoffice” is not available on stable for this architecture (arm64) but exists on
other architectures (amd64).

@MilitaryNerd you don’t neet to use Snap to install libreoffice, because the package is available using the official Repo.
Ah, I’m sorry, this is a GUIDE post, not a Q&A. If you have any issue please open a new topic!

@MilitaryNerd Sorry I can’t help you on that. I am on X86 architecture on my HP tablet. I have never played with ARM architected devices.