[JingTalk Special] The Next Gen of Jing

Dear All,

Our first-gen product will start to ship out soon. It has been quite an exciting year for Jingling Tech, and it will culminate with you, our customers, to receive your longing JingPad A1. It is, indeed, a milestone for all of us, and the future of Jing will grow strong with you.

In this special JingTalk session, we welcome you to give us your wishes. What the future of Jing would be like? What new features of JingOS would you like to see? What would you love to see on JingPad A2? And, last but not the least, what other Jing devices would you like us to create?

We are here waiting for you to voice your ideas!

1 Like

It can definitely wait, but if it were possible to switch between the jingos Desktop Environment and Cutefish, either when docked or with a dedicated toggle, it works take it to another level

The ability to create folders for the icons. On my phone I have over 100 apps. The will be a LOT of pages of icons to swipe through.

1 Like

Mainline kernel

They’ve tried getting the SoC to open source their stuff but looks like it’s not happening, next device could be mainline but it’ll need to use a different SoC

Video out via USB-C

1 Like

Ability to change the theme and icon pack like other Linux distros and Android without changing them 1 at a time.

Ability to change the command line of an icon without going into the file system.

1 Like

Hi, I hope to see a new version of physical Keyboard that looks like Microsoft Surface:

1 Like

Stereo audio exit via USB Type-C:

Or via Mini Jack 2,5 mm (the first on the left in the following pic):

IR Sensor to interface IR Devices (like Television) with the support of an IR App:

Thanks

1 Like

Add magnetic sensor to wake up display when the magnetic cover opens (like Samsung Galaxy Tab S Series or iPad Series):

1 Like

My Wishlist (Hardware Specs)->

1. Headphone Jack
  2. 120 Hz display
  3. More Powerful SOC
  4. Wired HDMI OUT (dependent on 3)
  5. PageUp, PageDown, Home, End buttons on keyboard
  6. Improved JingPencil (standard generational improvements)
  7. Add magnetic sensor to wake up display when the magnetic cover opens (like Samsung Galaxy Tab S Series or iPad Series):

Software->

1. Folders
  2. Multitasking (Splitscreen)
  3. Firewall (not restrict internet access for certain apps…like netguard on android)
  4. Complete Android app support
1 Like

For the next Jing Pad, I would suggest:

1. Keyboard needs PageUp, PageDown, Home, End buttons. They will fit on a 12" tablet with comfortable keys size

2. LTE card may also fit inside 12" tablet; please keep TF slot :+1:

3. Micro-HDMI output please; (I know usb3.0 supports video out)

4. 12 inches with 2560*1440 (3:2 or 16:9 I don’t care); amoled or LCD no significant difference

5. ARM with large battery !!! Thank you for your initiative, Whale & small fish !! :+1:

1 Like

NFC RF Technology:

1 Like

Let’s see,

1. Higher display brightness
  2. International network capabilities
  3. I guess a 120hz display would be pretty :ok_hand:
  4. The magnetic sensor Massimo mentioned
  5. 3.5mm audio jack would be nice
  6. More powerful SoC that’s open source

Implement a real standard USB 3.0 FULL SIZE Port (in addition to USB 3.1 Type C with video output):

1 Like

My suggestion to a brand new JingPad A1 Lite (Lower Price)

• Display 8" 4:3 IPS Tecnology FHD 1080p 400 nit (2K/4K is not needed and too expensive)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ (Kryo 585 + Adreno 650) [Open source Kernel mainline!!]
  • RAM 8GB LPDDR4x
  • ROM 128Gb UFS 3.1 or 256Gb UFS 3.1
  • Battery 7000 mAh
3 Likes

Honestly I am happy with what you’ve done with the a1. The only addition would probably be usb3 with external monitor capabilities. I love that you have made a Linux device that’s kinda premium! If people want a cheap device to just play around with they can probably just use the pinetab or something. I don’t have anything to add for the jingpad. Great job team!

One request I do have is for a smartwatch. It is such a useful tool for productivity. The market for an open source smartwatch is fairly open as well and I would like to see a good quality smartwatch in the open source world. You guys are the only guys I’ve seen so far that could totally pull this off! It’s slightly more niche than say a jingphone but it would also be a one-of-a-kind.

Best wishes!

1 Like

If you guys want any kind of Snapdragon, the device will likely get significantly more expensive…

Anyway, you have 2x2 options:

First, you can choose between their Mobile line (the kind of chips that go into smartphones, like 888 or 865) and their Compute line (the ones that go into WoS laptops and chromebooks). Personally, I’d vouch for the former, as the Compute chips are usually a gen or two behind compared to their Mobile counterparts and the performance gains don’t really make up for their higher TDP.

Then you can choose between the 8xxx and 7xxx line. The former is more powerful (though mainly on the GPU and coprocessors [think accelerators, DSPs and camera stuff] front nowadays), but also has noticeably higher price and heat output.

7xxx line SoCs are perfectly fine for a snappy experience, they often have a well-performing CPU configuration (though, of course not as powerful as their higher-up counterparts) with a midrange GPU option. They seem to never really overheat though, at least in normal use. While I didn’t yet get to play with the newest SM7325/7350 devices that were announced this year, the specs on paper make it look like something to consider… Of course Jingling probably doesn’t have the kind of money to manufacture the devices in an instant, so we’d have to wait a generation or two (nobody likes buying tech that’s outdated on release + Qualcomm likes to EOL their products seemingly randomly). But if the current gen looks suitable already, the next ones should only be better.

Then, comes the software problem. If you want to go with a Qualcomm downstream kernel, you’ll (likely) have to put up with many compromises, especially with the amount of binary packages you have to ship to even have the thing working properly. If you go with the mainline kernel though (oh and did I mention I do qcom mainline stuff? shameless plug ;)) you’d either have to follow the PinePhone route, where the community or select developers take the task of getting as many things working as possible (having full 100% absolutely everything works all the time functionality is proooobably out of reach for the time being), or fight with mainline code yourself and take on the responsibility for both making sure it works as you ship the product AND upstreaming patches to the mainline kernel, so that you don’t essentially create your own downstream. Adding to that, developing on Qualcomm platforms is not always pretty - if Jingling wanted people to help porting the mainline kernel, they’d have to provide a way of emergency flashing the device (via a vendor-signed EDL loader), or not blows security fuses on their devices, making them very developer-friendly, but not safe at all from attacks for the regular customer.

If you have any more questions about what going qcom would imply, I can try to answer, as I guess I know a thing or two…

2 Likes

JingPad Lite for sure! But with stylus support as well, and to keep the original 10" display size.

1 Like

The ability to dual boot.

1 Like